Master of Expressive Arts Therapy

1. How do we define Expressive Arts?
The Expressive Arts are the use of visual art, dance, music, drama and poetry. Although people may have a preference or strength in one or two, this program promotes our Expressive Arts Therapy Students to be competent in the use of expressive modalities within a therapeutic context.
2. Portfolio
The portfolio you submit is to contain art pieces that you have created in either visual art, dance/movement, music, drama or a combination of different art modalities. Your chosen pieces should reflect some response or understanding of some experiences.

Please also go to our website to look into the details of applying for our program, including preparation for the Arts Portfolio. It is one major item for us to know you and your competence and passion in arts.
3. How long should I be involved with Arts before the application?
Candidate should be able to demonstrate involvement in the arts with at least 3 years before applying for the programme (either formal training, or joining recreational arts course on a rather regular basis). Those interested in studying for the Master of Expressive Arts Therapy should prepare by enrolling in a formal or recreational art course and spending some time prepare a portfolio.
4. I do not have a Bachelor's degree with honours. Can I still apply for the programme?
Yes, you can still apply for the programme. In general, among the most important considerations are your demonstration of proficiency in using arts and your strong motivation to apply expressive arts therapy skills in clinical or educational settings.
5. What is the timetable of study?
Trying to accommodate the needs of students who are working, we shall schedule our classes at the most convenient time slots (e.g. weekday evenings).
For full-time student, normally you will attend three 3-hour classes per week during the first year of study. Class hours will be reduced to two 3-hour classes per week in the second year, giving you more time for the practicum (total 500 to 750 hours) and dissertation.
For part-time student, normally you will attend two 3-hour classes per week each year. You will spend a total of 500 to 750 hours of practicum in the second and the final year of study. Also, you will start your dissertation in the final year.
6. Can the potential candidate apply for the programme if he/she is currently studying for a postgraduate degree in HKU or other institutions?
According to the HKU General Qualifications for Admissions, concurrent registration by a student of this University for another postsecondary qualification either at this University or at another institution is not permitted, unless approval of the Senate has been obtained in advance.
7. Would it be possible to shorten or extend the period of study?
The curriculum shall normally extend over two academic years of full time study; or three academic years of part-time study. Candidates shall not be permitted to extend their studies beyond the maximum period of registration of three academic years of full-time study or five academic years of part-time study, unless otherwise permitted or required by the Board of the Faculty.
8. Do I have to submit a TOEFL/IELTS score?
Applicants with qualifications from a university of comparable institution outside Hong Kong where the language of teaching or examination is not English are required to satisfy the University's English language requirements for admission.
9. How and where should I submit my application?
You should submit your application online and send relevant supporting documents to the 2/F, The Hong Kong Jockey Club Building for Interdisciplinary Research, 5 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong.
Please note that the University will only ACCEPT originals or copies of the documents that have been duly declared as true copies before a notary public (e.g. a Commissioner for Oaths at a City District Office in Hong Kong). Copies of documents may be certified by the appropriate officials of your home institute if you are an overseas applicant. No photocopies will be accepted.
10. How will the interview be conducted?
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an interview. The interview will be conducted in both individual and group formats that will include individual and group discussions and an arts experiential.
11. What is the professional recognition upon graduation?
Graduates are eligible for professional registration as a Registered Arts Therapist (AThR) with the Australian, New Zealand and Asian Creative Arts Therapies Association (ANZACATA) upon completion of 750 supervised practicum hours.
To be considered as a Registered Expressive Arts Therapist (REAT), you need to fulfill the post-training clinical experience requirement as well as personal therapy. More details about registration can be found in the website of IEATA (