Master of Expressive Arts Therapy
The arts have been one of the greatest healing resources throughout history playing a key role deeply engrained within health traditions cross culturally: dancing for healing and rites of passage, painting for contemplation and insight, drama for communication and enactment, music for relaxation and connection, or poetry for expression.
Ever since the introduction of arts making in therapy, the arts have re-established their role in prevention and treatment, as well as, in achieving wholeness and balance. Whether skilled with a brush or new to playing a drum, everyone has a latent capacity to create; and in this process the arts serve as vessels to transform life experiences and shape/create a new way of being, which is central to the therapeutic process of expressive arts therapy.
Thirty years after the introduction of expressive arts to Hong Kong, we are proud to offer an exciting, innovative and creative training programme, the Master of Expressive Arts Therapy. As the first-of-its-kind programme in Hong Kong and Asia, we will train professionals as expressive arts therapy professionals in healthcare, education and community settings. With increased interest in the arts for health, wellness and growth, now is the perfect time for this newest addition to the family of our Department of Social Work and Social Administration.
Prof. Rainbow T.H. HO, PhD, REAT, BC-DMT, AThR, RSMT, RSME, CGP, CMA
Registered Expressive Arts Therapist (USA)
Registered and Board Certified Dance Movement Therapist (USA)
Registered Arts Therapist (USA)(Australia & New Zealand)
Registered Somatic Movement Therapist / Educator (USA)
Certified Group Psychotherapist (USA)
Certified Movement Analyst (USA)
Professor, Department of Social Work and Social Administration
Director, Centre on Behavioral Health
The programme provides multi-modality (multiple arts forms) training in expressive arts therapy in the fields of healthcare, education, and community development. It aims to cultivate competent clinical and educational specialists ready to lead the development of the field of expressive arts therapy in Hong Kong and Asia.
The objectives of the programme are:
- to advance expressive arts therapy knowledge exchange and training development in Hong Kong;
- to ensure that students are grounded in evidence-based expressive arts therapy practice and contributing to research development; and
- to serve as the hub for international collaboration and local inter-disciplinary training in expressive arts therapy
After the completion of this programme, students should be able to:
Expressive Arts Therapy Training
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of expressive arts therapy theory, practice, ethics and professionalism
- Apply expressive arts therapy to clients with diverse needs in multiple settings
- Identify personal and professional abilities as well as, methods to resolve limitations through creative process and expressive arts
Expressive Arts Therapy Research
- Integrate research into practice to ensure high quality service delivery
- Ensure sound methods are used to offer expressive arts therapy
Expressive Arts Therapy Community and International Collaboration
- Implement Western and Asian-based applications of expressive arts therapy
- Communicate effectively within multi-disciplinary settings
Who will benefit from the programme
Healthcare and social service professionals as well as artists and arts educators who wish to become adept in implementing various forms of expressive arts and apply the transformative process of creativity to enable a process of change benefiting clients to complement their clinical and educational practices. This programme will be beneficial for those who may aspire to work in hospitals, schools, social service centres, and agencies serving the needs for children, youth, adult and the elderly with disabilities, emotional/ or learning challenges, chronic illness, psychiatric disorders and personal issues.